Saturday, October 11, 2008

Math

Many of you know that John and I both have math degrees - he has his PhD and I almost have my master's. Thus mathematics education is something that we are passionate about. I am more passionate than John because as a high school math teacher, I have seen students struggle and triumph over their demons associated with math. So often I would encounter students who had the idea that math was just too hard for them. But yet, they didn't think that finding the hidden meaning in some obscure literature piece was too hard - even if it was just as hard for them as doing math.

Why is this? Why as a culture do we have the idea that math is beyond most people? It isn't. You are probably shaking your head right now and thinking that well, it is for me. I still say it isn't. Don't get me wrong - many people have a "math" limit - a point where they have hit the end of the road for them. That's fine. But many young students think that the limit for them is Algebra I and it just isn't true. I struggle to learn math - I really do. I know what it is like to bang your head against the wall (literally) because you just can't get that last step. But, that doesn't mean that all of mathematics is too hard; it just means that you are having problems with that one part.

We as a society have imparted to our youth the idea that math is hard and it is only reserved for nerdy men. We need to change this. Math is creative and many amazing mathematicians have been and are women and non-nerdy men. You don't have to be a nerd to be good at math.
You are probably wondering where this is all coming from. I read an article in the NY Times entitled "Math Skills Suffer in US". It just reminded me once again of the struggle that I faced as a math teacher to help students get past the idea that they couldn't do math. John still faces this every day at the college level. The best thing that a parent can do for their child is to encourage them in math; to not impart the idea that math is hard in general.
The above are examples of tessellations by artist MC Escher - math at work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You would be happy to know that math is Jake's favorite subject by a long shot. He humors me by telling me he enjoys reading and writing, but I know what he really means is "can we do Math now?"

Also, in the first lesson when we were learning what a mathematician does I reminded him that you and John were mathematicians. He said "Hey...maybe THEY could be my teacher!" Sorry Jake. You're stuck with mom. But I will try my best to keep the passion going and I will pass on the message that MATH IS COOL!

The Singlers said...

Thanks Jodi. A mathematician in the making...