Sunday, May 13, 2012

Our girls and mothering

These are our girls - they are hard at work on homework and other things.  I could not have imagined seven years ago when I was pregnant with Alexandra what being a mother would be like.  It's VERY different from what I imagined.   I often just sit back and watch (or listen) to our girls.  The Lord has used these two amazing children to show me my deep sin and He has also used them to show me joy that is unimaginable.  Most days, I really like being a mom.  There are hugs, kisses, snuggles, and lots of laughter.  Other days, there are numerous timeouts, tattles, and me wondering what I have gotten myself into!  And God gives me grace through it all.  For it all does depend on Him and His grace.

One of my favorite passages of Scripture is Isaiah 49.  The Lord says to His people:

“Can a woman forget her nursing child,
    that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget,
    yet I will not forget you.
Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are continually before me.

Though a mother might forget, the Lord never will.  This gives me hope, that He will never forget me.  But even more, it gives me hope for my girls - no matter what kind of mother I am, God is better.  My ability to be a good mother comes from His infinite grace, not from anything within me.  For this I am thankful.  


No comments: