Today, I was listening to NPR while I was feeding Samantha and Alexandra was eating lunch. Alexandra asked what they were talking about and I told her "President Bush, he is our leader for a few more days. Then, we will have a new president, President Obama." This satisfied her for a little bit. Then she pops up with "Samantha has a white face." And it became a teachable moment in the blink of an eye. We talked about how even if someone looks different than you, they are still special because God made them, that we need to make sure to look at people through God's eyes.
It was in those moments that I realized that my daughters will have a president in their lifetime that looks significantly different than they do and what an amazing thing it is. It will be normal for them to have had an African-American president, just as it is normal for John and I to have attended school with people of all colors - this was not the norm for our grandparents and some of our parents. This is truly amazing to me. I hope one day that our daughters will also realize how amazing it is too.
No comments:
Post a Comment