Thursday, August 4, 2011

Details, details...

I have realized that I have been posting many pictures, but not many words. Our lives have been a bit hectic in some ways since the beginning of the summer. We slowed down a bit after we got back from North Carolina, but it's about to start up again.

John just got back from a short conference and made lots of great contacts. He also had several requests for his papers to be sent to them. He really enjoyed his time there and seemed to come back refreshed. John really enjoys these conferences and sees them as a time of refreshment. They expose him to new ideas and give him new ideas. He tells me that sometimes the hardest part about being a professor is having enough time to research all the ideas in his head. He's pretty smart, that Singler.

I have not had much going on. I had been tutoring, but my tutoring lady decided to take a break until the beginning of August. I hope to get started up again and maybe even add one more person. It's been wonderful to get back to get back to tutoring and doing something that I truly enjoy. Don't get me wrong, being a stay at home mom was the right choice for me and our family, but it's been nice to do something just for me. Plus, we can always use the extra money. Of course, John came home to a sick wife, but hopefully, I will be well by next week.

Alexandra is busting with excitement to go to kindergarten this year. (I am not so sure that I am ready though.) She can't wait to go to school and eat lunch there. She was so excited to get a lunchbox. Alexandra also just lost one tooth. She has three more loose. I am guessing by her sixth birthday (in mid-September) she will have at least two more holes. She doesn't understand why her new teeth aren't in yet. Last time she lost two teeth, it was because her permanent teeth were growing in and were pushing the baby teeth out. Alexandra has learned so much over the summer - her skills at writing and cutting have greatly excelled. She can almost write her first name - those pesky lower case As are giving her problems, she can write upper case As, but still having issues with lower case.

Samantha is as crazy as ever. She is full of life and curiosity at all times. Samantha doesn't understand why she doesn't have any loose teeth, but is getting used to the idea. I don't know how she is going to handle her sister being gone all day at school; we will see. Samantha is going to go to preschool four days a week in the morning, so that will help. We will have one morning off just to hang out with each other. She is also excited that she can go have lunch with Alexandra at school sometimes. (I am excited too!) Samantha is adventurous in so many ways and is definitely our extrovert child.

The girls are attending gymnastics camp this week (thanks Memaw and Papaw!). I think that if they didn't have something to do this week, we would all go a little crazy. The girls start school on August 17th and I can't believe it. It seems so far off, but yet so close. John starts not long after that and life gets back to normal - or at least whatever normal life is at this point and time. The getting up early and getting out the door is definitely going to be hard, but good in its own way. That is about it for us for the moment. It's cool here today - only 82. Since the heat index has been over 100 for the past two weeks, we are really enjoying the cool weather, even if it is just for a day.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Hey, that's awesome that you're tutoring! math right? College or highschool?